IGF-1 and Cancer
U-shaped relation between IGF-1 and Cancer
1. Samani, A.A., et al., The role of the IGF system in cancer growth and metastasis: overview and recent insights. Endocr Rev, 2007. 28(1): p. 20-47.
2. Cohen, P., D.R. Clemmons, and R.G. Rosenfeld, Does the GH-IGF axis play a role in cancer pathogenesis? Growth Horm IGF Res, 2000. 10(6): p. 297-305.
3. Toniolo, P., et al., Serum insulin-like growth factor-I and breast cancer. Int J Cancer, 2000. 88(5): p. 828-32.
4. Hankinson, S.E., et al., Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer. Lancet, 1998. 351(9113): p. 1393-6.
5. Allen, N.E., et al., A prospective study of serum insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF-II, IGF-binding protein-3 and breast cancer risk. Br J Cancer, 2005. 92(7): p. 1283-7.
6. Chan, J.M., et al., Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and prostate cancer risk: a prospective study. Science, 1998. 279(5350): p. 563-6.
7. Stattin, P., et al., Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins, and prostate cancer risk: a prospective study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2000. 92(23): p. 1910-7.
8. Yu, H., et al., Plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and lung cancer risk: a case-control analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst, 1999. 91(2): p. 151-6.
9. Probst-Hensch, N.M., et al., IGF-1, IGF-2 and IGFBP-3 in prediagnostic serum: association with colorectal cancer in a cohort of Chinese men in Shanghai. Br J Cancer, 2001. 85(11): p. 1695-9.
10. Palmqvist, R., et al., Plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3, and risk of colorectal cancer: a prospective study in northern Sweden. Gut, 2002. 50(5): p. 642-6.
11. Ma, J., et al., Prospective study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3. J Natl Cancer Inst, 1999. 91(7): p. 620-5.
12. Petridou, E., et al., Endometrial cancer and the IGF system: a case-control study in Greece. Oncology, 2003. 64(4): p. 341-5.
13. Zhao, H., et al., Plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-1 and binding protein-3, and their association with bladder cancer risk. J Urol, 2003. 169(2): p. 714-7.
14. Major, J.M., et al., Insulin-like growth factor-I and cancer mortality in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2010. 95(3): p. 1054-9.
15. Shariat, S.F., et al., Correlation of preoperative levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 with pathologic parameters and clinical outcome in patients with bladder cancer. Urology, 2003. 61(2): p. 359-64.
16. Miyata, Y., et al., Serum insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3/prostate-specific antigen ratio is a useful predictive marker in patients with advanced prostate cancer. Prostate, 2003. 54(2): p. 125-32.
17. Andreassen, M., et al., IGF1 as predictor of all cause mortality and cardiovascular disease in an elderly population. Eur J Endocrinol, 2009. 160(1): p. 25-31.
18. Janssen, J.A. and S.W. Lamberts, Igf-I and longevity. Horm Res, 2004. 62 Suppl 3: p. 104-9.
19. van Bunderen, C.C., et al., The association of serum insulin-like growth factor-I with mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer in the elderly: a population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2010. 95(10): p. 4616-24.
20. Svensson, J., et al., Both low and high serum IGF-I levels associate with cancer mortality in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2012. 97(12): p. 4623-30.
Medical Writer & Nutritionist
University of Stockholm & Karolinska Institute, Sweden
Baylor University, TX, USA
Latest from Monica
- Hematocrit (blood thickness) elevation following testosterone therapy – does it increase risk of blood clots?
- Is there a protective role of testosterone against high-grade prostate cancer?
- Effects of testosterone treatment on body fat, lean mass, symptoms and leptin resistance in obese men on a calorie-restricted diet
- Long-Term Testosterone Therapy Improves Cardiometabolic Function and Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: Real-Life Results
- Exercise – much more than just a calorie burning tool
- Aspirin – can it save you from heart disease or cancer?
- Testosterone Thresholds and Muscle Mass Gains Needed to Enhance Muscle Strength and Function
- Association of IGF-1 (Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1) with Mortality, Cardiovascular Disease, and Cancer
- Multiple Hormonal Deficiencies in Anabolic Hormones in Frail Older Women
- Relationship between Low Levels of Anabolic Hormones and Mortality in Older Men