How to Build a Proper Skincare Routine
As much as we want to keep the effortless, glowing skin from our early twenties forever, unfortunately, our skin starts to change as we grow older. Some of these changes include less elasticity, thinning skin, wrinkles, fine lines, and more moles, freckles, and age spots. However, you don’t have to accept this as an inevitable fate if you make a conscious effort to take care of it. Great skin can still be possible even with aging, depending on how you care for your skin and the products you use. Let’s dive into a great skincare routine to help you achieve the beautiful and radiant skin you absolutely deserve no matter what age you are! We’ve put together some skincare tips and a step-by-step guide to building an ideal skincare regimen that can help get you back on track to beautiful skin! Keep reading.
First off, let’s start with the three main steps you should make sure to include in your regimen:
Washing your face daily is critical to maintaining healthy skin since it removes dirt, oil, and other unwanted buildup that accumulates throughout the day. Your skin is constantly exposed to bacteria, dirt, pollutants, and old skin cells, so it is important to remove these impurities and allow your skin to breathe, be clean, and makes it easier for your skin to absorb quality anti-aging products. Cleansing your skin also helps keep your pores smaller since it is less likely to be clogged, promotes proper hydration and prevents excess oils from building on your skin.
Using toner is a necessary step to get extra cleansing especially after removing your makeup or other heavy products like sunscreen. Our skin is naturally acidic and can have a pH imbalance after cleansing with soap and cause your skin to produce oil to return to its normal levels. Toner can help restore your pH balance quickly while adding a layer of protection to your skin from impurities and environmental contaminants. Do not skip this step in your routine! Using this step after cleansing will leave your skin much more rejuvenated.
This is an especially essential step in your daily routine to maintain a vibrant complexion while preventing irritation. You should choose a good moisturizer depending on your skin type and preferably one that also protects you from harsh UV rays. Excessive cleansing, dry air, using harsh chemicals/products, and unbalanced pH levels are some of the culprits that can cause your skin to become dry. When applying moisturizer, it is good to work with upward strokes (going against gravity), gently patting the product on your face, neck, and chest evenly. Avoid aggressive rubbing. The best times to moisturize are after showering, when you wake up, and before bedtime. Keeping your skin moisturized with high-quality products can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, although it will not prevent them from forming over time.
Building your skincare routine
1. Wash your face using a facial cleanser that is compatible with your skin. Atlastin’s gentle self-foaming cleanser is excellent for all skin types (including sensitive skin) and is sulfate free using a unique blend of moisturizers and vitamins to effectively remove impurities without drying or irritating the skin. Using your hands, gently massage your face with the cleanser and water mixture and rinse. Use a soft towel to gently pat your face dry. If you are removing makeup, use a cleansing oil or micellar water first and follow up with your daily cleanser.
2. Apply your toner immediately after cleansing your face. Pour a few drops of toner on a soft cotton pad and gently swiping it across your face can remove any leftover oil residue which also makes your pores smaller. If you use an exfoliating toner that contains ingredients like glycolic acid, only use this at night. Toners that contain hydrating formulas can be used in the morning and at night.
3. Next, use serum. In the morning, it is best to use serums that contain antioxidants that will protect your skin from free radicals throughout your day, like a brightening vitamin C serum. Hyaluronic acid is a great moisturizing serum for your night time routine. For serums, a good rule to follow is to use water-based serums underneath your moisturizer and use oil-based serums after your moisturizer. If you have dermal fillers, using INhance Post-Injection Serum with TriHex Technology is a great aid to accelerate post-injection recovery. This serum works well with the skin to clear out damaged elastin and collagen while stimulating new elastin and collagen production!
4. Now, it’s time for eye cream. Generally, it is a better idea to layer moisturizers under eye creams, since eye creams are thinner. Restorative Eye Treatment is great for reducing fine lines around the eyes, puffiness and dark circles when used daily. Hydrating eye creams can cause puffy eyes in the morning due to water retention. To help combat this, try chilling a metal roller applicator in your fridge for 10-15 minutes before applying your eye cream with it.
Related: How to Reduce Under Eye Wrinkles
5. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Moisturizer hydrates the skin while securing in the other layers of products. Generally, using a lightweight moisturizer in the morning with SPF30 and up is ideal to keep your skin plump while protecting it from the sun throughout the day. Nighttime routines call for a thicker cream. If you are prone to dry skin, using a thicker cream during the day and night can be helpful.
6. Do not skip the sunscreen! Proper protection from UV rays significantly reduces the risks of skin cancer as well as help prevent premature aging - the fine lines, wrinkles, and sun spots. If your moisturizer does not contain sunscreen, make sure you apply your sunscreen over your moisturizer. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends wearing a facial sunscreen with an SPF 30 and higher such as Alastin’s Broad Spectrum SPF 30+ Sunscreen to help block out 97% of the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays.
Our skin sheds itself on a daily basis which makes it even more of a reason to incorporate a consistent skincare routine to ensure beautiful skin as we age. Glowing skin is a lifelong investment that relies on what we are doing now to prevent issues in the future. Everyone’s skin type is different and may require varying products to keep their skin healthy and happy. The benefits of skincare can provide a domino effect on other aspects of your life as well! Practicing a proper skincare routine can also help boost your confidence and encourage other healthy habits in your life. When you look good, you can’t help but feel good too.
Related: 6 Ways to Get Rid of Scars