Consequences of high and low levels of GH and IGF-1
U-shaped relationship between IGF-1 and mortality
1. Ohlsson, C., et al., The role of liver-derived insulin-like growth factor-I. Endocr Rev, 2009. 30(5): p. 494-535.
2. Le Roith, D., et al., The somatomedin hypothesis: 2001. Endocr Rev, 2001. 22(1): p. 53-74.
3. Kaplan, S.A. and P. Cohen, The somatomedin hypothesis 2007: 50 years later. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2007. 92(12): p. 4529-35.
4. Baumann, G.P., Growth hormone doping in sports: a critical review of use and detection strategies. Endocr Rev, 2012. 33(2): p. 155-86.
5. Martin, F.C., A.L. Yeo, and P.H. Sonksen, Growth hormone secretion in the elderly: ageing and the somatopause. Baillieres Clin Endocrinol Metab, 1997. 11(2): p. 223-50.
6. Lamberts, S.W., A.W. van den Beld, and A.J. van der Lely, The endocrinology of aging. Science, 1997. 278(5337): p. 419-24.
7. Di Somma, C., et al., Somatopause: state of the art. Minerva Endocrinol, 2011. 36(3): p. 243-55.
8. Maggio, M., et al., The hormonal pathway to cognitive impairment in older men. J Nutr Health Aging, 2012. 16(1): p. 40-54.
9. Deijen, J.B., L.I. Arwert, and M.L. Drent, The GH/IGF-I Axis and Cognitive Changes across a 4-Year Period in Healthy Adults. ISRN Endocrinol, 2011. 2011: p. 249421.
10. Angelini, A., et al., Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1): relation with cognitive functioning and neuroimaging marker of brain damage in a sample of hypertensive elderly subjects. Arch Gerontol Geriatr, 2009. 49 Suppl 1: p. 5-12.
11. Perrini, S., et al., The GH/IGF1 axis and signaling pathways in the muscle and bone: mechanisms underlying age-related skeletal muscle wasting and osteoporosis. J Endocrinol, 2010. 205(3): p. 201-10.
12. O'Connor, J.C., et al., Regulation of IGF-I function by proinflammatory cytokines: at the interface of immunology and endocrinology. Cell Immunol, 2008. 252(1-2): p. 91-110.
13. Woodhouse, L.J., et al., The influence of growth hormone status on physical impairments, functional limitations, and health-related quality of life in adults. Endocr Rev, 2006. 27(3): p. 287-317.
14. Thomas, J.D. and J.P. Monson, Adult GH deficiency throughout lifetime. Eur J Endocrinol, 2009. 161 Suppl 1: p. S97-S106.
15. Scacchi, M. and F. Cavagnini, Acromegaly. Pituitary, 2006. 9(4): p. 297-303.
16. Rosen, T. and B.A. Bengtsson, Premature mortality due to cardiovascular disease in hypopituitarism. Lancet, 1990. 336(8710): p. 285-8.
17. Janssen, J.A., et al., Serum total IGF-I, free IGF-I, and IGFB-1 levels in an elderly population: relation to cardiovascular risk factors and disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 1998. 18(2): p. 277-82.
18. Johnsen, S.P., et al., Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I, -II, and IGF binding protein-3 and risk of ischemic stroke. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2005. 90(11): p. 5937-41.
19. Juul, A., et al., Low serum insulin-like growth factor I is associated with increased risk of ischemic heart disease: a population-based case-control study. Circulation, 2002. 106(8): p. 939-44.
20. Dong, X., et al., The relationship between serum insulin-like growth factor I levels and ischemic stroke risk. PLoS One, 2014. 9(4): p. e94845.
21. Brugts, M.P., et al., Low circulating insulin-like growth factor I bioactivity in elderly men is associated with increased mortality. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2008. 93(7): p. 2515-22.
22. Renehan, A.G., et al., Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein-3, and cancer risk: systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Lancet, 2004. 363(9418): p. 1346-53.
23. Novosyadlyy, R. and D. Leroith, Insulin-like growth factors and insulin: at the crossroad between tumor development and longevity. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2012. 67(6): p. 640-51.
24. Samani, A.A., et al., The role of the IGF system in cancer growth and metastasis: overview and recent insights. Endocr Rev, 2007. 28(1): p. 20-47.
25. Major, J.M., et al., Insulin-like growth factor-I and cancer mortality in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2010. 95(3): p. 1054-9.
26. Furstenberger, G. and H.J. Senn, Insulin-like growth factors and cancer. Lancet Oncol, 2002. 3(5): p. 298-302.
27. Giovannucci, E., Insulin-like growth factor-I and binding protein-3 and risk of cancer. Horm Res, 1999. 51 Suppl 3: p. 34-41.
28. van Heemst, D., Insulin, IGF-1 and longevity. Aging Dis, 2010. 1(2): p. 147-57.
29. Sonntag, W.E., et al., Diverse roles of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-1 in mammalian aging: progress and controversies. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2012. 67(6): p. 587-98.
30. Friedrich, N., et al., Mortality and serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding protein 3 concentrations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2009. 94(5): p. 1732-9.
31. Ruiz-Torres, A. and M. Soares de Melo Kirzner, Ageing and longevity are related to growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1 secretion. Gerontology, 2002. 48(6): p. 401-7.
32. Andreassen, M., et al., IGF1 as predictor of all cause mortality and cardiovascular disease in an elderly population. Eur J Endocrinol, 2009. 160(1): p. 25-31.
33. Janssen, J.A. and S.W. Lamberts, Igf-I and longevity. Horm Res, 2004. 62 Suppl 3: p. 104-9.
34. van Bunderen, C.C., et al., The association of serum insulin-like growth factor-I with mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer in the elderly: a population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2010. 95(10): p. 4616-24.
Medical Writer & Nutritionist
University of Stockholm & Karolinska Institute, Sweden
Baylor University, TX, USA
Latest from Monica
- Hematocrit (blood thickness) elevation following testosterone therapy – does it increase risk of blood clots?
- Is there a protective role of testosterone against high-grade prostate cancer?
- Effects of testosterone treatment on body fat, lean mass, symptoms and leptin resistance in obese men on a calorie-restricted diet
- Long-Term Testosterone Therapy Improves Cardiometabolic Function and Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: Real-Life Results
- Exercise – much more than just a calorie burning tool
- Testosterone treatment is NOT associated with risk of adverse cardiovascular events – the RHYME study
- Survival and cardiovascular events in men on testosterone treatment
- Everything We Learned About TESTOSTERONE Is WRONG - video presentation by Dr. Morgentaler
- Testosterone levels, testosterone therapy and all-cause mortality in men with type 2 diabetes - impact of PDE5 inhibitors and statins
- Effects of Testosterone Treatment in Older Men